Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Emmy 2008 Semifinalists

Y'all know I hate the Emmy Awards (SEVEN years and Buffy doesn't get a nomination? Bah on you!) but like a car accident, I find myself staring and wondering how it happened and why. This year we're getting a sneak peak at what the noms might be, as the semifinalists are announced. Not all categories are out, but most of them are. Each of these categories will be whittled down to five nominations, due July 17.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Patrick Dempsey, Grey's Anatomy
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Eddie Izzard, The Riches
Hugh Laurie, House
Denis Leary, Rescue Me
James Spader, Boston Legal

Interesting list. No Lost, which sucks. I'm hoping Chandler, Byrne, and Hall make the final cut, and when all is said and done, if Gabriel Byrne doesn't win this for In Treatment, the sham awards show will be even shammier.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Patricia Arquette, Medium
Glenn Close, Damages
Minnie Driver, The Riches
Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU
Holly Hunter, Saving Grace
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Mary McDonnell, Battlestar Galactica
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Jeanne Tripplehorn, Big Love

Yay Mary McDonnell! That said, I'm four episodes from finishing Damages, and Glenn Close is brilliant. (If you haven't seen her on season 4 of The Shield, you should.) So my vote goes to her.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Justin Kirk, Weeds
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
John Krasinski, The Office
Jack McBrayer, 30 Rock
Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Fred Willard, Back to You
Rainn Wilson, The Office

I say this every year. And... I SHALL SAY IT AGAIN! Come on, Rainn Wilson!! (I'm sad to see Chi McBride from Pushing Daisies missing... he made me laugh just by being on the screen.)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama
Jane Alexander, Tell Me You Love Me
Candice Bergen, Boston Legal
Rose Byrne, Damages
Jill Clayburgh, Dirty Sexy Money
Sharon Gless, Burn Notice
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers & Sisters
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
S. Epatha Merkerson, Law & Order
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy

Without sounding like a shill for In Treatment, my vote goes to Dianne Wiest for this one. (And again, I urge you all to check it out.) There are scenes where she's facing off against Gabriel Byrne that gave me goosebumps. She is extraordinary in this. That said, I'm pretty pissed that Connie Britton didn't get a nom for Friday Night Lights. Come ON.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Naveen Andrews, Lost
Bruce Dern, Big Love
Christian Clemenson, Boston Legal
Ted Danson, Damages
Michael Emerson, Lost
Zeljko Ivanek, Damages
T.R. Knight, Grey's Anatomy
William Shatner, Boston Legal
John Slattery, Mad Men
Blair Underwood, In Treatment
Jake Weber, Medium

Woo! Naveen AND Emerson! (And Zeljko, if you want to count Juliet's evil husband.) My vote (shock!) goes to Michael Emerson on this one. I think he is mesmerizing.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
Marcia Cross, Desperate Housewives
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Anna Friel, Pushing Daisies
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Eva Longoria Parker, Desperate Housewives
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program

I'm happy to see a lot of those nominations, but I'm hoping America, Tina, and Anna make it through. I'd be happy with any of them winning.

Outstanding Comedy Series Finalists
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty
Weeds

My dream list: Flight of the Conchords, The Office, Pushing Daisies, 30 Rock, and Entourage. With The Office or Pushing Daisies winning. Yay Pushing Daisies!

Outstanding Drama Series Finalists
Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Grey’s Anatomy
House
Lost
Mad Men
The Tudors
The Wire

Wish List: The Wire, Lost, Friday Night Lights, Dexter, Damages. And I hope I don't offend any Lost fans when I say, "COME ON WIRE!!!!!!!!" (Lost can have it next year, since season 4 was stellar... and let's give a nod to Henry Ian Cusick, shall we?)

UPDATE:
Outstanding Supporting Comedy Actress:

Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Conchata Ferrell, Two and a Half Men
Jenna Fischer, The Office
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Judith Light, Ugly Betty
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Jean Smart, Samantha Who?
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

For me, Kristin Chenoweth, hands down.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki - how can you not pull for Nel Patrick Harris from "How I Met Your Mother"? He's easily the best character & actor from an the best show that barely survives cancellation every year.

-Tim

Strider said...

How can Battlestar Galactica not be included in the list of Outstanding Drama Series? Are Boston Legal or Grey's Anatomy really dramatically superior to BSG? I'm disappointed.

Anonymous said...

i have no quibbles with Boston Legal, because I love it and the performers nominated are outstanding. However, it's one of those shows that needs a category between drama and comedy, since it very much belongs in both.

I love Ben, but I hope Naveen Andrews is nominated. Because he'd wear a tux. ;)

Anonymous said...

if there is a god in heaven, michael c hall will win.

Emilia said...

If Michael Emerson doesn't win this year, I'll be really upset. He's hands down the best villain I've seen on television.

Ryan said...

I've heard mixed things about 30 Rock - I think I'm going to give it a shot, but before I dive in, what are your thoughts, Most Wise One?

Anonymous said...

(Lost can have it next year, since season 4 was stellar... and let's give a nod to Henry Ian Cusick, shall we?)

Problem about this is, Season 4 is the one Lost is nominated for now. They submitted The Constant for Drama consideration (yep, apparently, it acted itself, or something.)

Nikki Stafford said...

Just a quick note that I'll be updating this post when new categories are announced. Supporting comedy actress was just announced.

Tim: I know, I know, everyone's telling me to watch HIMYM... I watched the first couple of episodes and didn't like it at all, but it could have been the laugh track throwing me. As I've said before, I promise (promise!) to give it another chance. :)

Strider: I second your disappointment.

redeem: I knew you'd be pulling for your man. ;)

fb: I would be thrilled to see him win!! He is extraordinary. It would definitely signal a new direction for the Emmys, that's for sure!

Emilia: SO agrred on Emerson.

Ryan: My quick take on 30 Rock: LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! It has a tendency to be hit and miss sometimes, but there are moments where Alec Baldwin makes me laugh so hard I can't breathe. The Office is my favourite comedy, but 30 Rock is great for its stellar moments. I adore it. (If you only watch one 30 Rock, watch the one with Paul Reubens. It still makes me howl.)

Anonymous: Ack, my bad, you're right.

Sigh... I still must pull for The Wire...

Daisy said...

Damages was a fabulous show! I think Glenn Close did a great job.

I didn't think it was back for Season 2. Am I mistaken? Did I miss it?

Emilia said...

I totally agree with Nikki, give 30 Rock a shot! I promise you'll be hooked!

Cedar said...

I've never seen "30 Rock" either. Indeed, the first time I heard of Tina Fey was from the Buffy comic--Willow's "Anywhere But Here" choice. LOL. Speaking of Willow, etc., I've never enjoyed "How I Met Your Mother." I think the reason is that I do not like the role that Alyson Hannigan plays on it. Is it a favourite show of anyone out there?