Sunday, February 24, 2013

Book #3: Skim

Skim is a graphic novel that I saw in the library and just grabbed out of interest. Written by Toronto-based Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by her cousin Jillian, it's the story of Kim, who is called Skim by her friends (as she says in explanation of the name, "Because I'm not," referring to the fact she's overweight). It's high school life in the early 90s, when the school scandal of a popular girl whose boyfriend breaks up with her — before killing himself — eventually collides with Kim's own personal turmoil and confusion. It's a book that looks at all of the pressures of high school life, including depression, sexuality, popularity (or lack thereof) and what a confusing time it can be all around. In other words, the perfect book for Buffy fans. It's a quiet book, but very well done.

7 comments:

Shimon said...

My book #3 was "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. A real punch to the gut, but in the good, making you think and appreciate life kind-of-way.

erin said...

My third book was "Husk" by Corey Redekop, which I read because you posted about it! It was a very fun read. :)

The Original Scroll said...

Skim sounds really interesting, I'm going to try to find it somewhere.
My Book #3 was Species of Spaces and Other Pieces by Georges Perec, a wonderful frenchman obsessed with almost (literally) everything about life - his main work Life, A User's Manual is in my "to read soon" list.

yourblindspot said...

Just started Karen Russell's new short story collection Vampires in the Lemon Grove, and though I'm only a couple of stories in as yet, I'm completely comfortable recommending it without reservation.

Original Scroll: God, I love Perec. Species is a terrific starting point for those unfamiliar (or slightly uncomfortable) with his singular brand of genius. Because that mind is waaaaaay out there. I'd also recommend A Void, in which the magic trick he turns is that the whole thing is written without the letter 'e' - not leaving it out, but rather utilizing no words that contain it. And better yet, some poor sap had to translate it from the French and accomplish the same feat. And not only did they both pull it off, it's actually a terrific story too. Completely remarkable.

The Original Scroll said...

Perec really is a love from the first page!

Nikki Stafford said...

Erin: YAY!! I'm so glad you liked Husk! :)

You guys are giving me some amazing books to add to my must-read list. Why have I not read Perec? Must rectify that immediately. ;)

yourblindspot said...

You won't be sorry. I don't know that I've ever looked at writing quite the same.