I thought Ellen Degeneres was fun and down-to-earth, even if the pizza stuff went on a little long, and after 11 o'clock, we just needed it to WRAP UP. But just as much fun was the banter in our room, and how much fun we were having anticipating what the speeches would bring and talking about what was happening on stage.
This year I made the party potluck, and asked guests to bring food that they had to name. Then we realized how sucky the nominees were when it came to naming foods. And since I didn't think anyone would want to eat Blue Jasmine Rice, I went with American Hummus (after I threw out the name Hummus Eater's Club. Seriously... terrible). And I made Judi Punch. And then we had so much food I didn't get to bring out my Jared Tacos, which I thought had the best name! The party had a Great Dipsby from my friend Sue, which was a GREAT name, and when my friend Jeannette couldn't find rye or pumpernickel for her spinach dip, she had to walk around the store to try to find something else to use for it... so her dish was called "12 Minutes to Decide." Heehee! The "30 Seconds to Mars Bar Cake" might have been the best sweet thing I've tasted this week... no, month. But to outdo everyone, my cousin Andrew's wife Kelsey showed up with the most fantabulous hors d'oeuvres AND homemade cards she'd made to put with them:
How amazing is that?! (And by the way, those mushroom caps were to die for. I ate too many of them. Along with Amanda's mini caprese skewers. I think I'll subsist on water today and the leftover fruit that Ashlie brought. Sadly, everyone ate Brent's chicken wings so there are none of those left.) As my friend Jeannette and I always say when making a Pinterest joke, "NAILED IT!!" And this time we didn't mean that sarcastically. ;)
- When Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor, my friend Dan joked that he should get up and say, "Alright, alright, alright" in the same intonation as he did in Dazed and Confused. And after a long ramble about how you make heroes, he held up the Oscar and DID JUST THAT. Our room went nuts.
- Jordan Catalano winning an OSCAR!!! And then thanking his mom. Seriously, awwwww.
- We decided to tally up how many people were going to mention the Ukraine, and who was going to mention it first. Answer: the very first winner (Leto) mentioned it, and then NO ONE mentioned it after. Not even Bono.
- Of course, once we mentioned the Ukraine it was moments before someone mentioned Crimea — WAIT FOR IT — River.
- Ellen's opening mention of Liza Minnelli, saying that she'd just spotted in the audience the best Liza Minnelli impersonator she's ever seen, and added, "Sir, you did a great job." Although Liza actually looked rather offended, so maybe it was a little less funny.
- Karen O doing "The Moon Song" from Her. (If you haven't yet seen Her, GO SEE IT. Fantastic film. I can't stop thinking about it.)
- When the camera flashed quickly to Mads Mikkelsen in the audience. Gaaaaaahhhh!!!
- FINALLY convincing the audience not to clap along with the In Memoriam bit, as if there's a popularity contest among the dead.
- Me not winning the pot. Jeannette and Ashlie, you are in my sights. I will SO get you next year!
- Mads Mikkelsen not being put in the front row. If my friend Sue and I were the ones putting butts in seats, he'd be front and centre. And he'd present every award.
- Having to get the kids out of bed this morning after they both insisted on staying up for part of the show.
- Cate Blanchett thanked Woody Allen and the clapping from the audience was tepid and reserved. And then Matthew McConaughey mentioned how important God was to him and God appeared to receive fewer claps than Woody. Yikes.