Friday, July 06, 2007

"Little Boxes, On the Hillside...
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky..." Some people might think the opening theme song to Showtime's Weeds is the most annoying song on earth (and those people now hate me, because trust me, this song will be in your head the rest of the day now), but I LOVE it. Whenever the show is having its run, I'm constantly walking around the house, to my husband's amusement, trying to do the line, "There were doctors, and lawyers, and business executives" in Malvina Reynolds' voice. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check it out here:



In season 2, we were shocked when an episode opened and it sounded like Elvis Costello singing it. And the following week it was someone else. The game turned into "Guess the singer" which, about 50% of the time, we could, and the other 50% drove us nuts until it reached the end and we could see who it was in the credits.

Showtime's just announced that they'll be doing it again, and this time they have singers like Randy Newman, The Shins (can't WAIT for that one!), and Billy Bob Thornton on board. Others include Joan Baez, Donovan, Michael Franti, The Individuals, Angelique Kidjo, Kinky and Man Man, Persephone's Bees, and about 4 others they haven't yet chosen. I hope they do what they did last time and still let the theme for the finale be the original version. I lurve it.

Season 3 is scheduled to begin on August 13th.

6 comments:

Katherine Trites said...

I've never seen an episode, but I do know the saong! thanks for posting it. had fun listening. I'll have to look for the show now
or d-ahem-load.

Fernando said...

I cannnnnnnnn't wait for the Shins cover

Anonymous said...

Weeds is a great show - so funny. One crazy situation to another. Have you been watching The Riches? and yes, the theme song with different singers on Weeds is really fun.

Shadowdog said...

WOO HOO!! Randy Newman is the bomb! Some of the others are cool too, but Randy is the best so that'll be awesome.

Unknown said...

ohhh i LOVE this show!!! But I miss the original singer! Little boxes on the hillside little boxes made of ticky tacky! I can't wait until the next season!!

Anonymous said...

Here are the lyrics to Little Boxes:
http://ingeb.org/songs/littlebo.html