Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Good News and Bad News...
The bad news first. Well, bad for me. My Lost column at Wizard Magazine has been dropped, due to budget restrictions. Their freelance budget has been severely decreased, and since they found an assistant who works at the magazine and watches Lost, they're giving the column to that person, who can write it as part of their salary, and they won't have to pay me the whopping price of 5 cents a word. (Seriously.) I'm bummed, despite them reassuring me it had nothing to do with me or the writing and that they loved the column, they've just had to make cuts across the board.

So what is the good news, you might ask? Well, on the bright side of this, it means the columns go back to being mine, and I can post them as soon as I've finished writing them! No more waiting until 11 a.m. the next morning for these. As I said, I'll be watching a 7pm EST feed of the show, and so I'm hoping to get it posted at 11pm, just as those of you watching the 10pm feed will be finishing, and we can start our discussions immediately after. That, at least, is a good thing.

Starting today, I'll re-post my columns here if you want to go back and catch up to where we are. And then tomorrow, let the discussions begin! :)

7 comments:

Megan said...

Well, that still sucks for you.

Eric said...

Can you share how you watch a 7 pm est feed? Is that online or a cable on demand kind of thing?

Nikki Stafford said...

Megan: Yeah. But I guess it takes the pressure off, and I kinda like keeping my content to my own blog. That said, I turned down other column offers to take the Wizard one, so it does suck.

Eric: In Canada, when ABC moves Lost to 10pm, it puts Lost up against stiff competition, so the network that airs the show moves it to 8pm. But in the Maritimes, on the East Coast, their 8pm is our 7pm, and I get that feed via satellite. :)

Eric said...

You Canadians are just too lucky!

I'm sorry about the freelancing loss, but glad to be getting your posts earlier ...

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that does suck for you, but I get how you like to have your posts back in your possession, so to speak.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Thursday's episode. Once again, I got a cryptic message - and this one is being written by Goddard and Vaughan, both of whom I adore. The 10 p.m. slot is going to kill me dead though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sayid! *sniff*

What, you think you're the only one who can time travel?

Shift. I mean shift.

Anonymous said...

We still love you Nikki...
And we think you are worth WAY more than 5 cents a word...at least 6 cents for sure *wink*