Friday, November 23, 2007

Pushing Daisies: Smell of Success
Death by scratch 'n' sniff. Only on Pushing Daisies.

This week's episode... what can I say? Every post I just say it's better than the one before it, and this one was no different. I loved the premise, the opening at the boarding school reached a new low of pure sadness (how did Ned grow up to be so sweet?), LOVED Paul Reubens (his performance didn't quite reach the perfection of his inbred prince on 30 Rock last year -- with his little porcelain hand... hahahaha! -- but it was pretty awesome. I didn't even recognize him at first!), and the ending was such that he just might be making a recurring role, since he seems to be on to Chuck.

There was so much to love in this episode, but as with every ep of this show, there was once again one moment that was truly sublime: the ending, where we finally see the Darling Mermaid Darlings take to the water. The animation was stunning, Lily singing "Morning Has Broken" actually brought tears to my eyes (!) and it was a moment we'd all been waiting for.

No Pushing Daisies this week coming up, but there will be one the following week, thank goodness. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE. When will they be coming out with the action figures?!

What was your favourite moment?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite moments: When Chuck tells Ned that she and Olive are about to engage in 'girl talk.' The look on Ned's face was priceless!

Oh, and Emerson's love of pop-up books.

I'm looking forward to the new episode in 2 weeks with the candy store rival on the same block as the Pie Hole. Should be good!

One last thing, the hilarity of the dead body. Yes, this show is the only one that can manage to make death look rather silly. How the girl was black and blown up in front, but unburnt in the back. Ha, ha, ha!

Nikki Stafford said...

I've always loved that Emerson was a knitter (and it was brought up again this week when the sniffer said he could smell wool on him) but having him make a pop-up book was SO priceless, I agree. Emerson is such a fantastic character.

Nikki Stafford said...

Oh, and one more thing... I also loved that no one pointed out to Chuck that the other name for a "cup pie" is a tart. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved this episode, as I do them all. I also teared up when Ellen Greene sang. We are blessed.

I do have one question - why, when he touches rotten fruit, does it turn ripe and delicious, but when he touches dead bodies, they stay crispy, holey, squooshed etc?

Nikki Stafford said...

Colleen: Really good question!! I never thought of that!