Friday, November 23, 2007

The Wire Starting Soon!!
I was seriously going to end on the Heroes post, and I just got this bit of information: The Wire is scheduled to begin January 6th! I am SO EXCITED. I know I'm becoming a broken record, but I cannot stress enough that this is the smartest show on television (yes, smarter than Lost, I'm afraid) and you MUST watch the previous 4 seasons to really get season five.

Season 1 was about the cops dealing with the kids selling drugs. Season 2 was about the longshoremen and how the drugs get into the country. Season 3 was about the actual heads of the crime, showing one of them rising above the others, getting an education in economics, and using that knowledge to build a better drug business. Season 4 (the best, in my opinion) was about the kids in the school system, and how the drugrunners catch them early so they really don't stand a chance at finding a better life. Season 5 will move to the Baltimore Sun and show how the media works with the cops and the politicos (or against them) and how the drug trade flourishes despite it all.

If you're a fan of The Wire, check out this AWESOME long piece in the New Yorker. I loved it.

Season 5 of The Wire premieres in Canada on Sunday, January 6 on The Movie Network (eastern Canada) at 9 p.m. ET and on Movie Central (western Canada) at 8 p.m. PT .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,

I completely agree with you about The Wire. Those in the US with access to On Demand TV can see Season 3 right now (HBO Series On Demand), and Season 4 will be showing there in Dec.

I liked your new book about Lost (Season 3), especially the in depth extras on the novel and other book references. Keep up the good work.

I don't see anything in your index about "Life" on NBC. Have you checked it out?

Bill

James D said...

Um, wow, I've never watched the Wire, or known anything about it, but I like your roundup on how the different seasons focus on different things. Sounds interesting.

Bill, I agree, "Life" is awesome.