Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Funniest Show on Television
First of all, wah. I just came downstairs from putting my daughter to bed (asleep at 8:40! Woohoo! Personal 3-month record here. Of course, that involved me whacking my shin on the frame of her bed while putting her back into the bed for the fourth time, and hopping up and down going, “Ow! Ow! Owowowowowwwwwwww…. OK, Mommy needs you to go to bed, she hurt her leg!” and suddenly, magically, it’s as if she knew I was really serious and couldn’t play the “catch the toddler” game we usually play each night, and she settled down and went right to sleep. Huge bruise, but it was worth it. I wonder if this needs to be a nightly tactic? With shin guards, of course.)

Anyway, I get downstairs all excited to watch this week’s episode of The Office and… it’s a damn repeat. ARGH. Biggest disappointment of my week so far. I haven’t really blogged on The Office, but it is easily the funniest show on television. (My husband doesn’t think so, but he also doesn’t understand why I think Monty Python is funny. Sigh.)

But I watched the ep anyway. It’s the repeat of the pilot, where Oscar is outed in the office by Michael, who was upset that he’d called him “faggy,” not knowing Oscar was a real homosexual. And I loved rewatching it so much that it diminished my disappointment in it being a repeat.

Fave moments:
Michael and Dwight call Jim at one point to find out about buying a “gay-dar” online because Jim had told them you could, and Jim pretends to bang the keys and says, “nope, they’re all sold out!”

Stanley complaining to the camera that he now has two toasters because the store wouldn’t take back the wedding gift he’d bought for Pam. I LOVE Stanley’s faces.

Michael kissing Oscar in the conference room, and the look of shock on Pam’s face, as if she would give ANYTHING for Jim to be there.

Dwight opening a package from Jim, and it’s a metal detector he’s wrapped up as a gay-dar. BRILLIANT.

Fave lines:
Ryan: “Yep, I’m not a temp anymore. I got Jim’s old job, which means at my 10-year high school reunion it will not say Ryan Howard is a temp. It will say Ryan Howard is a junior sales associate at a mid-range paper supply firm.” Pause. “That’ll show ’em.”

Michael: “You don’t call retarded people retards. It’s bad taste. You call your friends retards when they’re acting retarded.”

Michael: “I watch the L-Word. I watch Queer as F**k.”
Jan: “That’s not what it’s called.”

Michael: “The company has made it my responsibility today to put an end to 100,000 years of being weirded out by gays.”

Creed: “I’m not offended by homosexuality. In the 60s I made love to many, many women, often outdoors, in the mud and the rain, and it’s possible a man slipped in. There would be no way of knowing.”

Dwight: “Michael appears to be gay, too, and he’s my friend. I guess I DO have a gay friend.”

Michael, looking out the window: “Oh, there’s Gil, Oscar’s roommate. I wonder if he knows?”

Next week: New episode. YAY!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

having missed the first 15 minutes of this ep. when it first aired, i was jazzed for the repeat last night. I love Big Tuna ... er Jim.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't say I understand why he doesn't like Python, but he's certainly got his head on straight with The Office. He's a keeper.