Sunday, November 28, 2010

Buffy Rewatch Schedule

Hello everyone! Since I posted on the Great Buffy Rewatch, there's been a ton of interest in it, which warms my heart and proves to me what I already knew: People still love Buffy! And I think in the face of the dreaded Jossless reboot, they want to do a rewatch even more to remember the way Buffy's story was SUPPOSED to be told. It was posted to Whedonesque here, and then that story was immediately tweeted everywhere, and my site visits tripled in one day. So I think we're going to get a lot of newcomers with this one, and I say welcome!

In the past week I've been chatting with the contributors a lot (and have gotten a few more on board) and they're all very excited. Many of them are tweeting and facebooking that they're going to be involved, so in a day or so I'll make a new post where I'll introduce you to the fine folks who are going to be rewatching Buffy with you. But first, I wanted to let you know what our schedule is going to be.

As mentioned, there are 144 episodes of Buffy to cover. I want to cover all of them on the Tuesdays of 2011, from January 4 to December 27, and if you do the math, that comes out to about three episodes a week. I chose a few weeks where I'll just do one episode if I think that particular episode deserves a bit more weight.

Before I post the full schedule, I wanted to clarify a couple of things. One, if this is the first time you're watching Buffy, you won't get spoiled by us. I'm a complete spoilerphobe, as my regular readers can tell you, and I've structured all of my books so that you can watch an episode and read the corresponding guide to it without being spoiled about any upcoming episodes. And the same goes for our rewatch. Each week I'll write up some intro about my own brief thoughts before turning things over to the guest columnist that week. I've told them if they'd like to keep the non-spoilery commentary at the top of their post, where they just talk about the episode itself, then we'll make a break, after which the people rewatching can keep reading the thoughts about how the episode relates to future episodes (or those watching it the first time who don't mind spoilers could keep reading, too). If the contributor makes their entire post about future episodes, not to worry, I'll just make a longer intro about the episode itself for those first-time watchers at home. We'll do our best not to spoil you, and I'm very careful about such things.

Secondly, there are a few episodes, mostly in season 1, that led to crossover episodes on Angel. While those Angel episodes won't officially be part of the rewatch, I'll be mentioning them (and telling you where you need to watch them) in case you're interested in it. The crossovers were offered mostly in the first season to bring Buffy viewers over to the new Angel spinoff, but they were written in such a way where if you didn't watch Angel, you didn't miss a thing on Buffy. However, if you did watch them, you were given a much richer story than if you just watched BtVS.

So I think I've got everything covered. I'm already getting giddy about watching Buffy again, and I can't wait to begin. But without any further ado, here is the schedule for the year, so you can start watching and pencilling in your Buffy time!! ;)

January 4
1.1 Welcome to the Hellmouth
1.2 The Harvest
1.3 The Witch

January 11
1.4 Teacher’s Pet
1.5 Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
1.6 The Pack

January 18
1.7 Angel
1.8 I Robot, You Jane
1.9 The Puppet Show

January 25
1.10 Nightmares
1.11 Out of Mind, Out of Sight
1.12 Prophecy Girl

February 1
2.1 When She Was Bad
2.2 Some Assembly Required
2.3 School Hard

February 8
2.4 Inca Mummy Girl
2.5 Reptile Boy
2.6 Halloween

February 15
2.7 Lie to Me
2.8 The Dark Age

February 22
2.9 What’s My Line? Part One
2.10 What’s My Line? Part Two
2.11 Ted

March 1
2.12 Bad Eggs
2.13 Surprise
2.14 Innocence

March 8
2.15 Phases
2.16 Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
2.17 Passion

March 15
2.18 Killed By Death
2.19 I Only Have Eyes for You
2.20 Go Fish

March 22
2.21 Becoming, Part One
2.22 Becoming, Part Two

March 29
3.1 Anne
3.2 Dead Man’s Party
3.3 Faith, Hope and Trick

April 5
3.4 Beauty and the Beasts
3.5 Homecoming
3.6 Band Candy

April 12
3.7 Revelations
3.8 Lover’s Walk
3.9 The Wish

April 19
3.10 Amends
3.11 Gingerbread
3.12 Helpless

April 26
3.13 The Zeppo
3.14 Bad Girls
3.15 Consequences

May 3
3.16 Doppelgängland
3.17 Enemies
3.18 Earshot

May 10
3.19 Choices
3.20 The Prom

May 17
3.21 Graduation Day, Part One
3.22 Graduation Day, Part Two

May 24
4.1 The Freshman
4.2 Living Conditions
4.3 The Harsh Light of Day

May 31
4.4 Fear, Itself
4.5 Beer Bad
4.6 Wild at Heart

June 7
4.7 The Initiative
4.8 Pangs
4.9 Something Blue

June 14
4.10 Hush
4.11 Doomed
4.12 A New Man

June 21
4.13 The I in Team
4.14 Goodbye Iowa
4.15 This Year’s Girl

June 28
4.16 Who Are You?
4.17 Superstar
4.18 Where the Wild Things Are

July 5
4.19 New Moon Rising
4.20 The Yoko Factor
4.21 Primeval

July 12
4.22 Restless

July 19
5.1 Buffy vs. Dracula
5.2 Real Me
5.3 The Replacement

July 26
5.4 Out of My Mind
5.5 No Place Like Home
5.6 Family

August 2
5.7 Fool for Love
5.8 Shadow
5.9 Listening to Fear

August 9
5.10 Into the Woods
5.11 Triangle
5.12 Checkpoint

August 16
5.13 Blood Ties
5.14 Crush
5.15 I Was Made to Love You

August 23
5.16 The Body

August 30
5.17 Forever
5.18 Intervention
5.19 Tough Love

September 6
5.20 Spiral
5.21 The Weight of the World
5.22 The Gift

September 13
6.1 Bargaining, Part One
6.2 Bargaining, Part Two
6.3 After Life

September 20
6.4 Flooded
6.5 Life Serial
6.6 All the Way

September 27
6.7 Once More, With Feeling

October 4
6.8 Tabula Rasa
6.9 Smashed
6.10 Wrecked

October 11
6.11 Gone
6.12 Doublemeat Palace
6.13 Dead Things

October 18
6.14 Older and Far Away
6.15 As You Were
6.16 Hell’s Bells

October 25
6.17 Normal Again
6.18 Entropy
6.19 Seeing Red

November 1
6.20 Villains
6.21 Two to Go
6.22 Grave

November 8
7.1 Lessons
7.2 Beneath You
7.3 Same Time, Same Place

November 15
7.4 Help
7.5 Selfless
7.6 Him

November 22
7.7 Conversations with Dead People
7.8 Sleeper
7.9 Never Leave Me

November 29
7.10 Bring on the Night
7.11 Showtime
7.12 Potential

December 6
7.13 The Killer in Me
7.14 First Date
7.15 Get It Done

December 13
7.16 Storyteller
7.17 Lies My Parents Told Me
7.18 Dirty Girls

December 20
7.19 Empty Places
7.20 Touched
7.21 End of Days

December 27
7.22 Chosen

12 comments:

Hunter said...

The more I think about this, the more excited I get. I'm the opposite of you, Nikki, with Lost and Buffy. Buffy was the first show I just had to see every week, but Lost was the first show I loved. It's still going to be great to watch them all again. I've seen each episode at least 2 or 3 times, but it's been a few years since I've gone back to any.

I kind of wish you could include Angel as well after Season 3. That's probably a bit much for everyone to watch in one week though. I just love the transformations the Buffy characters go through once they get to L.A. I actually named my dog Wesley after Mr. Wyndam-Pryce. Never would of thought I'd do that when he was first introduced.

Missy said...

YAY
'Becoming' Parts 1 & 2
will be up on My Birthday
Happy Birthday to me Lol

Anonymous said...

yeah. I'm looking forward to it. Great idea, especially zo begin in this uneventful tv-season. Its about time to buy the DVDs!

EvaHart said...

Sounds great, now I can actually say I have planned to do something for 2011!
Thanks for the non-spoilery precautions, I have to admit I have never seen an episode before, but I'm looking forward to the experience of starting a new series with the help of many insightful experts!

Lexie said...

This'll be so much fun! I rewatch the complete series at least once a year anyhow, so mwaha now I have other folks to rewatch with!

Nikki Stafford said...

Yay Missy! The only actual week I'll reveal is that one, where I nabbed the Becoming episodes early on and said those ones are MINE. ;) Looking forward to it.

Nikki Stafford said...

Hunter: Like I said, I'll cover off the relevant Angel eps, but as you say it would be a lot to cover, and the Buffy rewatch alone could get hectic for me. It's been like traffic control organizing it. ;)

Nikki Stafford said...

I meant air traffic. I'm tired. ;)

Chuck Power said...

I'm in!!
I have them all ready to go on Netflix. All of the seasons are available to watch instantly. This is good for anyone who doesn't have the dvds, like me. I think I'll start tonight.
This is exciting!

Sara D. said...

Awesome! I am sooo excited for this! Dunno if I'll have time to actually watch with all of you, but I watched it in its entirety just last year, so it's still fresh enough in my mind. Can't wait!

NonModern said...

Ahh. Glad to see we get to watch multiple episodes a week. I tend to do one of these and chase through a whole season in a week.

Unknown said...

I'm SO excited about this :) Rebecca and I aren't quite done with watching it the first time, but we will be soon. Yay for Buffy! I'm trying to convince my friends to watch it.