Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More Blurbage!

I think everyone should try to work the word "blurbage" into their everyday speech more often...

One of my favorite writers (and people), David Lavery, has given me a blurb for the back cover of my final Lost book. Yay! Thank you, David!


If John Locke (pre-Man in Black) was the most sought-after companion for anyone venturing into Lost’s mysterious island, it is impossible to imagine a better guide than Nikki Stafford for the viewer exploring the incomparable complexities of the now completed series. Whether tracing narrative threads, explaining the meaning of Lost’s many intertexts, probing the motivations of a character, identifying nitpicks and nailing goofs, elucidating mysteries, or defending the controversial finale, Stafford never fails to be funny, candid, informative, and brilliant. We will be reading and consulting her Finding Lost series, now complete, as long as Lost itself is remembered. I suspect it will be required reading even in the Sideways World for anyone seeking to move into the light.
—David Lavery, co-author of Lost’s Buried Treasures and editor of The Essential Cult TV Reader

8 comments:

EvaHart said...

Awesome comment! Congratulations!
Speaking of your amazing books, today I was book shopping (in Staffordshire no less) when I came across your Finding Lost series in a tiny but amazing old bookshop. Just shows how far they reach...

Marebabe said...

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Very nice!

By the way, Nikki, I'm looking forward to the renewed discussion of the Lost Epilogue, now that the S6 DVDs are out. I went and got mine on my lunch break. (A note to all you DVD shoppers: Best Buy once again has an exclusive bonus disc with 20-or-so minutes of extra goodies that won't be found anywhere else. A nice consolation prize for those of us who still don't have Blu-ray, and/or can't afford the Complete Collection. They also have Oceanic and Dharma T-shirts, as long as they last. Alas, they didn't have my size in the Oceanic shirt.)

Austin Gorton said...

Nicely done, Mr. Lavery.

And Nikki, agreed regarding "blurbage". We use at B&N a lot when discussing staff recommendation blurbs.

Fred said...

Hey, Marebabe, is that Season 6 as Blue Ray? I've been holding out for the entire series on BR, cause I heard there would be some extras the regular DVD would not have. Do you know anything about this, as you've got the new S6?

Yes, I've been saving my empty cans of Dharma beer to buy the BR version. I got a whole van load of them.

Zari said...

WIN THE ENTIRE "LOST" SERIES ON BLU-RAY!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/08/massive-lost-giveaway-win-the-entire-series-on-blu-ray/

MUST ENTER BY 1 SEPT!

Marebabe said...

Hey, Fred! I’m pretty sure that the bonus disc at Best Buy is included whether you get the Blu-ray set or regular DVDs. I’m also pretty sure that supplies are limited, so time’s a-wastin’. Grab your car keys and get over there!

One other thing. For reasons I cannot fathom, Best Buy offers the S6 set either WITH or WITHOUT the bonus disc. I can’t imagine anyone not wanting the bonus disc when it’s offered. But just be sure the DVDs you pick up include the bonus disc. The cover on the set I bought looks different, not so much black & white as SILVER.

Marebabe said...

Here’s another contest! This one is at EW.com under PopWatch Blog. The prize is the Lost Complete Collection on Blu-ray. (Awesome.) To enter, you need to be on Facebook, and you need to be able to write a haiku that expresses your appreciation for any one character from LOST and shows your “mastery of LOST lore”. For most Nik at Niters, writing a prize-winning haiku should be as easy as rolling off a log backwards!

You need to hurry, though. The contest deadline is 10:00 p.m. eastern tonight. Even though I don’t have a Blu-ray player yet, I’m going to enter. If I win, the discs will keep! Here’s the link:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/08/24/lost-the-complete-collection-blu-ray-giveaway/

LoyallyLOST said...

Way to go! I just don't know why EVERYone on the face of the planet that is a LOST fan doesn't know who you are & why on earth you aren't given some kind of awesome award by the powers that be when it comes to this show! Darlton should at least, AT LEAST, have dinner with you to 'pick your brain'!
So proud of you!